It is about three years that I got married and we have a two years old child. My husband had another wife with seven children before marrying me but I did not know about it at that time.

 I was studying in teacher education center and my husband was a teacher there. When he proposed me I accepted him because I thought he is an honest and good person.

We were happy for a while, but few months later he told me about his other wife and children and the next day brought them in the house to live with me. To tolerate this issue was so difficult for me but I had to accept it because I was pregnant.

Few months later I realized that he has affairs with other women too. He is not paying for my maintenance and instead he sold all my golds saying that he is treating his hepatitis B.

He was always beating me and forced me to give my salary for the rent of our house. He even did not pay for his wife’s and children maintenance. He is a moody and irresponsible person.

It is about one year that I live with my parents and I want him either to give me divorce or pay for my maintenance.

Procedure: Her problem was solved through tribal Jirga and general attorney took a grantee letter from her husband that he should not beat his wife anymore and also to pay for her maintenance otherwise he will be responsible to answer to the general attorney and will be punished for it. The client was happy from this agreement because she did not want to lose her baby.


Age: 21
Education: 6th class
Current residents: Kabul
Permanent residents: Kabul
Marital status: married

It is about two years that she was force by her brother to be engaged with a boy named Hakim without her Consent. Several times she asked her family to cancel the engagement because she wanted to marry with the boy whom she loved but her brother did not hear her. As her father and mother is dead, her brother is in charge of the family and he arranged for the marriage.
As the marriage was against her will and there was no alternative as her brother was not listening to her, she decided to escaped from the house and refer to the ministry of women affairs.

At the start according to the client’s wish our office did several mediation meetings with her family but her brother did not accept and was not ready to cancel the engagement and her fiancé did not come as well. Finally, a petition through 11th district was made. Her fiancé was taken under custody by the police and presented him in the law department.

Her fiancé claimed that they did Nekah during the engagement, the court asked to present five witnesses to support his claim but he failed to do so and so the court announced the cancelation of the engagement.

Because she loved a boy named Saefuden, once again the ministry asked from her brother to come and be present and talk with him to allow the marriage to be done through the family but her brother did not accept this offer and so a Nekah request was done to the court who sent her to the forensic for age determination.

After all the legal procedures were completed, she got married with the person whom she loved and the case got closed.

Note: according to the HAWCA's principles, contacted her several times and till now she is happy and doesn’t have any problem.

It is about four years that I got married. In the start of our new life I did not have any problem with my husband but after one year my mother in law started interfering in our daily life. My husband got influenced by his mother and started beating me even when I was five months pregnant and because of his beating my child died in my womb. he is always threatening me to never say anything about this issue to anyone else otherwise he will divorce me. At that time, I kept silent to protect the dignity of my family.

Now I have a one-year-old baby, still my mother in law with her interfering do not let us to have a good life. When my husband comes tired from the job, she motivates him to beat me. I am tired of such kind of life and do not want to think about my family dignity anymore and want to complain against my husband to be punished for his acts.


Her parents asked her to solve the case through mediation and through Jirga because following the case through legal procedure will cause enmity between the families and will increase the problems as well. She accepted her fathers’ request on the condition that if her case is not solved through mediation in her favor, she will register the case in the court and will proceed with legal procedure.

It is about 30 years that I got married and have seven children. During these years, my husband has always been beating me because he was not normal and had mental problems from the begging. He used any unimportant and small issue as a reason to beat me and my children. He even did not pay our alimony, that’s why I have to work in our neighbor’s house to find some money to feed my children and cover my own expenses. My youth was wasted tolerating my husband’s beating and bad behavior. I was hoping that he would change one day, but unfortunately he even became worse than before. He threatened me by gun and wanted to kill my son with a knife a few days ago. I called the police and shouted to our neighbors for help. Thankfully, the police arrested him and he is in the jail now. I wanted to take my divorce for my children’s safety.

Procedure: Her case was registered in the HAWCA’s registration book and the necessary information was given to her and her case was registered in the family court. 

Her husband was sentenced for four months imprisonment. Her husband agreed to divorce his wife by HAWCA’s mediation. She took her divorce and she is happy now.

It is about one years that I got engaged with the boy whom I loved and who I got to know in the university. I loved him a lot but after few months I noticed that he has contact with other girls. After certain investigation I got sure that he has illegal relationships with other girls. I asked him why he is doing this and he replied that he truly loves me and there is nothing else to it. But I do not trust him and I think one day he will deceive and leave me so I want to cancel my engagement.

Procedure: Her case was registered in the HAWCA registration book and the necessary information was given to her. We called her fiancé and gave him and her the necessary advice. Her fiancé regrets his actions and promised to be honest and loyal to her, but she was not convinced and said that she cannot marry him because she does not trust him anymore. The case was followed and her engagement was cancelled. She was very happy to get her freedom.


It has been two years that we got married. I did not know him before marriage when he came to our house and proposed me from my parents. When my parents saw him and his family, they thought they are decent people and from a reliable family. Therefore, they accepted their proposal and I was forced to get engaged with him. My engagement lasted for about four months, but during this time I could not know him very well. After marriage, I realized that he is not a good man and has relation with inappropriate people.  He started beating me when I protested against this issue and requested him to be away from such kind of people.

 A few days ago during the night, I saw my husband with some of his friends who were using drugs in our house. This made me really worried. The next morning, I requested him again not to interact with such friends. I told him that I can’t trust his friends and asked him why he had brought them home. I tried to convince him that this situation is inappropriate and will create a big problem for us. He did not listen to me and again started beating me. He even pointed his gun at me and shot a bullet. Luckily, he missed and I could survive from that incident. I immediately escaped and went to my parent’s house to shelter. Now, I want him to be punished for his actions.

Procedure: Her case was registered in the HAWCA registration book and the necessary information was given to her.

Her husband is sentenced for three months imprisonment. He promised that he will never beat his wife again, but his wife wants to take her divorce. Her husband promised that if she declare him innocent, he will divorce her. she accepted to do so, but denied to declare him innocent after she got her divorce.

HAWCA’s defense lawyer took her divorce in this case and she witnessed his punishment. The client was very happy from HAWCA’s support regarding the closing of her case.

Two years ago I got married to one of my relatives living in Iran. In the begging we did not had any problem in our life but latter my mother in law and sister in law started interfering in our daily life and filled my life with misery. My husband started beating me and always tried to find an excuse to insult and harass me. He prevented me from visiting my relatives and from going to school.

I took action by making my husband bringing me to Kabul because my family is living here. We came to Kabul and mediation took place between my family and my husband. My husband promised never to beat me again but he broke his promises few days’ latter and once again started to beat me. I have come to HAWCA to get justice and I want my husband to be punished for his cruel acts.

Procedure: Her case was registered in the HAWCA’s registration book and the necessary information was given to her.

Her case was introduced to general attorney department of elimination of violence against women. She was sent to the forensic to find out if she has been beaten. The report provided stated that beating signs has been seen on her body, her husband was taking under custody by the police.

After collecting relevant data, the case was referred to the general attorney department of elimination of violence against women and her husband was sentenced to imprisonment for four months. 

The client was very happy from HAWCA’s support and hoped that the husband becomes a good person after spending some time in the prison.

(Code name 157) (To protect the identity of the victim HAWCA uses code name instead of the original names)

 It is about 4 years that I got married; we have a two years old child.
After marriage my husband started doubting on me and never trusted me so this issue always creates problems and misunderstanding between us till he gave me divorce.
After divorce, I asked for my mehria (Dowry) which is seven hundred thousand Afghani. My husband does not have such an amount so I want to take the custody of my child instead.

Procedure: Her case was registered in the HAWCA registration book and the necessary information was given to her. The cases commence in the family court and the plea was presented.
The Husband stated that he do not have the money and at the end of the court session he agreed to give the custody of the child to our client instead. Our client was very happy format his decision and the case was closed.

Page 1 of 2